The friand pastry, which has become popular in Australia and New Zealand appears to have been based on the French financier; however, Australian and New Zealand friands typically have additional flavorings such as coconut, chocolate, fruit, and nuts. Australian / New Zealand friands are also baked in oval shapes.
Hmmmm... so it's basically a financier just that they come with additional toppings and are rounder in shape.
Personally I do not like this cake at all. Not sinful enough perhaps. Hubby lapped them up though.
Here's my green seedless grape, prunes and dates version. ☺
Adapted from Donna Hay's Modern Classic2
125g butter, melted
110g almond meal
200g icing sugar, sifted
100g plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
Optional: 1 cup fresh blueberries, strawberries or any fruit to your liking
- Preheat oven 180°C
- Combine almond meal, icing sugar, flour & baking powder
- Add egg whites and combine
- Add butter and combine
- Grease 10 x 1/2cup muffin tins
- Spoon mixture into tins and sprinkle with fruits or berries on top
- Bake 15-20mins or till golden in color and springy to touch but moist in the center.