Marble-ful Wonder

It was with great excitement that I bought my 3rd copy of Good Food Magazine Asian edition in Singapore. I was thinking of subscribing to it but couldn't find the online way to do it.

It was then with great disappointment that I read about this September issue being the last issue of this magazine. They had so many nice recipes. Just reading them I am already satisfied and has no need to step into the kitchen. :)

With this sad news, I had to start getting my butt and my hands going. So without further ado, I jumped in to try one of its recipes immediately. An easy retro one i.e. Chocolate Marble Cake.

Because it was so so easy, I was way too confident and flopped quite badly. To make it worse, I did it with my kid and it was quite embarrassing to not produce a nice edible cake at the end of our efforts. Blunders made were way too "childish" to be named. I threw the cake away...

After the kids were in bed, I stepped into the kitchen again, psycho-ing myself that I will be hungry by the time that the cake is done (a good 45mins in the oven). And the result was gooooooooddddd... ok, not THAT good especially when I love those rich dense mousse cakes but good enough as a quick treat for me and my hubby.

I was concerned about the cracked top and after comparing the pics found in the magazine - ah yes, they have at least a pic for every dish! How nice! - they had the same cracked top too. Ok, not my blunder then. Taste wise, I have reduced the sugar by 30% so it was just nice for us. Sweet smelling too. Very retro. Should try again whenever an easy cake is needed.

Chocolate Marble Cake
Adapted from Good Food Magazine Asian edition
Makes a 4" x 8" loaf or a 10cm cake tin

Ingredients 
113g butter unsalted, softened

113g caster sugar (I used only 80g) 
2 large eggs
113g self raising flour
1½ tbsp milk

½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cocoa pwder

Method 

  1. Preheat oven at 180C.
  2. Prepare pan by greasing the base and sides
  3. Place butter, sugar and egg into the food processor. Whizz for 2mins till thick.
  4. Add flour, milk and vanilla extract. Whizz again till combined.
  5. Divide the batter into 2 bowls.
  6. Add cocoa powder to one bowl.
  7. Take 2 spoons to dollop chocolate and vanilla cake mixes into tin alternately.
  8. Tap bottom of tin to remove air bubbles.
  9. Take a skewer (or a toothpick or fork or chopstick) and swirl it around the cake batter to create marble effect
  10. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Cool and serve.
    Alternatively, cake can be kept in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for 3 months.


Bake date: 10 Sep 2012

Comments

Popular Posts