Egg White Usage 1 - Tuilles

What is a Tuille? Here's what I found from WiseGeek:
A tuile is a type of very lightweight, dry, crisp cookie. These cookies come in a dizzying array of shapes, sizes, and flavors, but every style tends to be delectable. Tuiles are also incredibly versatile, and they can be used for everything from ice cream garnishes to crusts for tiny, delicate tarts. 

I think I whisked my egg whites too much. Hence, it was a bit "fluffy" for a biscuit center when it's supposed to be flat and crispy. The recipe should be changed from "whisk" to "lightly beat" or "mix" for the egg whites! Well... I changed it in this post.

Also I didn't like the fact that only the edges are browned so I waited a little longer and errm... it was a bit too brown. Hmmm.. this is easy I can do this again.


Tuilles
Adapted from Donna Hay's Modern Classic2
(Makes 16 8-10cm tuilles)


Ingredients
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup plain flour
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind/zest (can substitute with orange)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
50g butter (melted)


Method
  1. Preheat oven 190°C
  2. Mix all ingredients together till well combined
  3. Place 1 tsp of mixture onto baking tray lined with baking paper
  4. Spread out the mixture to a 8-10cm diameter circle
  5. Bake 5-6 minutes till golden around the edges
  6. Remove from tray while hot and use a rolling pin to curl over the edges
  7. Serve with dessert

Comments

Popular Posts