Nami Nami Egg White Cake (Munavalgekook)

I am still very intrigued by the other name for this cake i.e. Munavalgekook. This is one of the hard words to pronounce, much like the "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" word from Mary Poppins' song. Ok, now I'm showing my age. Yeah, I used to read books about her.

However, that's not the reason why I chose this cake. I simply wanted to make a cake out of my 3 egg whites that I had in the fridge.

Result was surprisingly good and fragrant for a egg white only cake. I changed and adapted quite a bit, adding ground cinnamon, used and reduced the amount of brown sugar and whisk till stiff peak stage for the egg whites.

It was a chore whisking by hand as my mixer has been stored in boxes ever since I moved back to my mum's place nearly 9 months ago. I still miss having my own place where I can call the shots with regards to how I would like my kitchen to be and where all the stuff are kept. Nevertheless, I am glad to be baking finally and meddling around in the kitchen. Although I must say, for the fear of being constantly nagged (that's a mother's job), I made sure I cleared the kitchen of any mess once anything is popped into the oven.

Ok enough of my ranting. Here goes the recipe. I used too big a cake tin, i.e. 8 inch round tin, for this. I would have preferred it in a loaf pan or a small tiny square tin.

Nami Nami Egg White Cake (Munavalgekook)
Serves 4-5

Ingredients
3 large egg whites
125g caster sugar (I used 100g of brown sugar)
80g plain floor
1/2 tbsp potato starch / cornflour, heaped tbsp
1/2 tsp baking powder
50g melted butter, slightly cooled


Optional
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


Method
  1. Whisk/beat egg whites with 1 tbsp sugar till stiff peak stage
  2. Mix rest of sugar with flour, potato starch & baking powder (and ground cinnamon if using)
  3. Sift into egg mixture and fold in gently
  4. Fold in melted butter
  5. Pour batter into prepared butter bundt or cake tin & bake for 20mins or till a toothpick comes out clean when poked into cake
  6. Cool slightly before turning out of cake tin.

Comments

Popular Posts