Orange Butter Cake

It's been half a year since I have updated this blog. Geesssh... what have I been doing?

I have still been baking. Testing out all the various types of bread without much success. They say that pregnant ladies can't make bread rise. I dismissed it cruelly and tried and tried. Only once.. yup, just once, I managed to debunk the myth. However, it was so pathetic looking that I never got down to blogging or creating a journal for it.

Occasionally, I have been making some muffins or cakes. Again, too grossly looking that it will take me immense courage to even take a picture of them.

Today is different. I was bored. Absolutely bored.

Bored with waiting for my girl to pop into this world. I'm ending 38 weeks now and there is still no sign of her wanting to be out. Work wise I have more or less completed most of my tasks and hence, my hours are occupied with web surfing, napping and ceaseless complaints about my tight tummy and how uncomfortable I am at this moment.

Then I woke up from my nap and suddenly it hit me. Not an idea but a craving. A craving for butter cake! Yup, just that. A fluffy non-intense but rich butter cake. So with a 3 year old kid as my helper, I got my cake.

It was so so so good that after he had a bite, my picky hubby lamented that I should have made it earlier for tea instead of delivering it close to dinner time when we had an appointment elsewhere. That's fine as tomorrow I'll warm it for tea and glean over the fact that preggers can make cakes rise.

Oh, did I add that this is the first time I am using the new Microplane Premium Zester/Grater that I got from Amazon? It was so easy to zest an orange that I did it in less than 15 seconds vs 5 minutes previously. I love fancy tools now. Hubby will be sponsoring my Kitchen Aid stuff... so he said today and here's a record of it.


Orange Butter Cake
Adapted from Mrs Ng SK for the butter cake
Makes a 4" x 8" loaf

Ingredients
115g butter unsalted), softened
pinch of salt
2 large eggs
30g + 85g sugar (I used only 100g of brown sugar in total)
100g self raising flour, sifted
30ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange

Method
  1. Preheat oven at 160C.
  2. Prepare pan by greasing the sides to help the cake to rise well
  3. Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl. Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 30g sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
  4. Cream butter and remaining sugar until pale and fluffy. Put in vanilla extract and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
  5. Add in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in remaining flour.
  6. Put half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Fold in the balance of egg whites and orange zest.
  7. Pour batter into pan and level.
  8. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean

Comments

Popular Posts