Maple Syrup Souffle

I have been baking souffle without much success. I tried one recipe for Chocolate Souffle to death and it still failed me. After another search for chocolate souffle recipes and tips, I tried again and again, it just doesn't work. Once they were out of the oven, IMMEDIATELY, they collapsed right back into the ramekins. Taste wise, they were not as moist as I would like them to be.

Probably it's my souffle making skills and while searching again for the simplest souffle recipe e.g. vanilla souffle whereby I don't have to keep wasting my precious chocolates and cocoa powder, I stumbled upon this ultimately simple 2 ingredient souffle - just maple syrup and egg. No kidding!

Frankly, I was a bit skeptical. But then again, I have nothing to lose and I can keep trying till I get it since I have a bottle of maple syrup in the fridge that doesn't seemed to see the light of day. I am sure it is pleased that finally it gets to come out of the fridge once in a while.
The result? Fantastic! It was simple and really easy to make. I managed to churn it out in just 15mins flat - 5mins for combining the ingredients and 10mins for baking in the oven. It was fluffy and did not collapse on me till at least 5mins later, which is a ok time for a souffle. Even when it slightly collapse, it still maintained its tall standing state for quite a while. It was moist and not too sweet with a strong hint of eggs. Maybe I should have used my beater to combine the egg yolk and maple syrup as the souffle was kind of dense at the bottom.
Nevertheless, it is definitely a good recipe to try if you are starting out on souffle making. Now... I will start customizing and see if I can get a chocolate souffle with equal standing... literally.

Maple Syrup Souffle
Makes 2 3.5" ramekins

Ingredients
1 egg, separated
2.5 tbsp maple syrup

Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
  2. Whisk together the egg yolk and maple syrup till creamy.
  3. Beat egg white till stiff peaks form.
  4. Fold maple syrup mixture into the whipped egg white.
  5. Pour into ramekins and put them in the oven to bake
  6. Once the ramekins are in, immediately turn temperature to 190 degrees Celsius. Bake for 10 minutes, or until puffed up. Do not open the oven in between.

Comments

Popular Posts