Creme Brulee

Pook's blog is one of those that I frequently visit as she detailed out the steps with pics. Needless to say, it gave me lots of courage to try the recipes she listed.

In my recent 2nd visit to Phoon Huat, I chanced upon this cheap $10 torch and the first thing that came to mind was Creme Brulee which my hubby and I love. Pook has it in her site too. So off I went a-making.
Just when I was about to torch the surface, I realized this cheapo torch does not come with gas! The gullible me had assumed it would. Thankfully I found a gas filler the next day at some China export looking provisional shop in Bukit Timah Plaza.

The small torch is easy to use but definitely not easy to torch. It took me a whole 2 minutes to get the surface browned. Maybe I used too little sugar.

So back to this Creme Brulee, I found it too sweet for my liking even though the recipe initially missed out where to place the additional 20g of sugar. Hence I omitted it. It could be due to the Marigold milk that I used as it was already sweet to begin with. Guess I will try making it again since I now have THE torch but will reduce the sugar in future... and perhaps get a better carton of milk.
Creme Brulee
(Makes 3 3.5" small ramekins... no kidding)(Adapted version)


Ingredients
45g milk
15g sugar (I used brown sugar)
200g heavy cream
45g egg yolks (about 3 egg yolks)
A few drops of vanilla extract


30g sugar for caramelized top


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 130°C.
  2. Place the milk, sugar and 50g of cream into a saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring it to a boil.
  3. Remove from the heat, pour the remaining cream and vanilla extract into the saucepan (to lower the temperature) and whisk to combine.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until well blended and lightened in color. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually. Pour the liquid into 3 ramekins or containers.
  5. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. 
  6. Bake for 25 minutes.
  7. Lower the temperature to 120°C and bake for another 30 minutes.
  8. Remove the ramekins and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or up to 3 days). 
  9. When ready to serve, remove the crème brûlée from the fridge. Divide the 30g sugar equally and spread it evenly on top of the 3 ramekins.
  10. Put the crème brûlée under the hot grill (or use a torch) to melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Done.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts