Getting to know Donna

Everybody who bakes seemed to know Donna Hay - an Australian-based food stylist and author of many cookbooks and food magazines. I have not read any of her stuff till I chanced upon her book in the library. As I only had 5 minutes to get my stuff and go (shan't go into details here), I picked it up (since the pictures were so pretty) and went.

I was glad I did as there was this recipe for Tiramisu that is simple and most importantly, no raw eggs needed! Just the thing I need since I absolutely would want a recipe to get into Hubby's good books quickly whenever the-you-know happens. He has a terrible weakness for tiramisu and orders it without fail if he spots it in the menu...unless the waiter strongly recommends something else.

After scouring many many recipes online, most of them either require raw eggs to be added so that the filling is light or went for the lower quality version of tiramisu where cream cheese is used instead. Without a doubt, this was the first recipe I tried in the book.

Results? Hubby couldn't get enough of it and gave praises over and over again as I reduced the sugar to suit his not-so-sweet tooth and added slightly more liqueur in it. Definitely a keeper. Glad to know you Donna!
Tiramisu
Adapted from Donna Hay's Modern Classic2
(Makes 2-3 glasses)

Ingredients
Sponge base
60ml strong espresso coffee (I used 40ml of coffee and 80ml of liqueur. ;>)
60ml coffee liqueur e.g. Kahlua
8 sponge finger biscuits, halved widthwise
cocoa powder for dusting

Filling
150g mascarpone cheese
180ml cream
1 1/2 tbsp icing sugar (I used only 1 tbsp)

Method
  1. Beat mascarpone cheese, cream and icing until light and creamy. Set aside.
  2. Mix the coffee and liqueur in a bowl.
  3. Dip both sides of the 4 sponge biscuits into the coffee mixtures and place into glasses as sponge cake base.
  4. Top the glasses (with the cake base) with half the filling.
  5. Repeat step 3 and 4.
  6. Dust with sifted cocoa powder and refrigerate until required. (I refrigerate first and dust when about to serve)
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts